After much deliberation, I settled on Humor. The 1st definition listed is, “A funny or amusing quality.”
For most of us, when we begin to awaken, we tend to lose our sense of humor. I know I did anyway. For whatever reason, we take the path to Spiritual Enlightenment extremely serious. Guess what? Spirituality & Humor ARE NOT mutually exclusive!
Humor & laughter are two of the most important tools for healing I can think of. It is scientifically proven that laughter can & will heal you, both mentally & physically! Laughter truly is the best medicine! Some of the health benefits are:
- Relaxes the whole body
- Reduces stress
- Releases endorphin’s (which can temporarily relieve pain!)
- Boosts immunity
- Burns calories
- Can prevent heart disease
- Eases anxiety
- Improves your memory
- Increases T-cells
- Improves the function of blood vessels & increases blood flow
So most of us already knew about the positive physical & mental benefits of laughter & humor. But what about the spiritual benefits? In a Spiritual sense, incorporating humor & laughter into our lives can:
- Shift our perspective- A humorous perspective creates psychological distance, which can help you avoid feeling overwhelmed and diffuse conflict. Which allows us to see things in a more realistic light, instead of from our sense of fear.
- Stop distressing emotions– It’s impossible to feel sad, angry, anxious or afraid when you are laughing!
- Build stronger relationships- Laughing together is one of the most effective tools for keeping relationships fresh and exciting. When you share emotions it builds strong and lasting bond. It also adds joy, vitality, and resilience. It is a powerful and effective tool to heal resentments, disagreements, and hurts. It can unites us during difficult times.
- Enhances creativity- Creativity comes from your emotions and when you are in a positive frame of mind it flows more freely.
- Increases you sense of well-being– The happier you are, the more secure you feel in your purpose in life.
- Promotes higher self-esteem- When you are happy you feel better about yourself.
There are so many all around benefits that I could literally do a year long series on the topic! But to sum this up and actually make a point:
Humor & laughter puts you in a POSITIVE state of being and that positive energy heals you! Mind, Body & Soul!
The next time you are stressed, anxious, fearful, angry, sick, hurting or suffering from a serious illness, try bring some humor & laughter into your life. It will balance you & put you in the position to be more accepting of healing. Not to mention, create an all around amazing sense of well-being.
***If you enjoyed reading this post, go to the sidebar & signup for my newsletter and follow my blog, then you won’t miss any upcoming posts***
- “Humor, Spirituality, and Well-Being” http://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/2002/PSCF6-02Hostetler.pdf